Computational Fluid Dynamics – in Memory of Edward Furlani (1952-2018)
Abstracts due: January 25
Special Session Co-Chairs:
Ed Furlani was a serial innovator, an inspiring leader and mentor, and a good friend to many of us in the Nanotech / TechConnect community. He is still one of Kodak's most prolific inventors making notable contributions to the fields of applied magnetics, microsystems technology, optoelectronics and inkjet systems resulting in 152 U.S. patents and numerous publications. He was elevated to a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors in recognition of this work. After 27 years at Kodak he transitioned to the University at Buffalo in 2011 where he established a world-class research group. His latest projects spanned applications of microfluidics, additive manufacturing, biosensing, energy storage, nanophotonics and bio-applications of magnetic particles. Ed was one of the founders of the TechConnect World Innovation Conferences. The annual Micro & Bio Fluidics, Lab-on-Chip symposium, which he established more than a decade ago, remains one of the highlights of the event.
This special session will spotlight research and innovations from colleagues, collaborators, and former students. If you were inspired by Ed's life and work please submit an abstract describing your current research and participate in this celebration.
- Micro, Nano & Bio Fluidic Transport and Actuation: transport phenomena; biophysical transport phenomena; cell/particle capture, counting, separation, and sorting; rheology & wetting; micropumps, valves, and dispensers; microreactors & micromixers
- Microfluidic & Nanofluidic Platforms: pressure-driven microfluidics; vacuum-driven microfluidics; inertia microfluidics; capillary-driven microfluidics; electrokinetic-driven microfluidics; droplet-based microfluidics; electrowetting-based microfluidics; centrifugal-driven microfluidics; ultrasonic-based microfluidics; paper-based microfluidics; optofluidics; magnetofluidics
- Microfluidics in Life Sciences and Biotechnology: biofluidics; natural, synthetic, integrative biological systems; organs-on-chip, organisms-on-chip & human-on-chip; bioinspired & biomimetic devices; sample preparation; nucleic acid, protein, cell, stem cell & cancer cell manipulation & analysis; tissue engineering; neurobiology & neuroscience; drug discovery & delivery; high throughput testing
- Lab-on-a-Chip (LOC) & Point-of-Care (POC) Detection Technologies: physical sensors; biosensors; chemical & electrochemical sensors; imaging technologies; optical detection; on-chip sensors
- Lab-on-a-Chip (LOC) & Point-of-Care (POC) Commercialization, Integration and Fabrication: micro total analysis systems (MicroTAS); lab-on-a-chip (LOC) systems; point-of-care test (POCT); micro- and nanofabrication, patterning, assembly, and integration; 3D printing; cartridge technologies, smart materials
- Computational Fluid Dynamics: modeling; numerical simulation; computational fluid dynamics
- Others: microengineering, nanoengineering, bioengineering, novel applications, and others
Submit Abstract »