Sugar derivatives have been used as building blocks in bio-based polymers because of their rigid structure and functionality. An isosorbide-based methacrylate monomer has been synthesized to produce block polymers. This new isosorbide derivative is easily synthesized from commercial materials and can be further polymerized to form block co-polymers.
Primary Application Area: Materials, Chemical
Technology Development Status: Prototype
FIGURES OF MERIT
Value Proposition: - Potential applications include methylmethacrylate (PMMA) replacements, adhesives, coatings and thermoplastic elastomers
- Isosorbide-based block polymers
- Renewable and biobased vs petroleum based
- Simple, effective synthesis
- Controlled polymerizations
- High glass transition temperature (Tg ≈ 130 °C)
- Good thermal stability (Td = 251 °C)
Global bio-plastic market expected to reach $7 billion by 2018 (Lucintel January 2014).
Organization Type: Academic/Gov Lab
Showcase Booth #: 523
GOVT/EXTERNAL FUNDING SOURCES