This technology is looking to eliminate toxic can coatings from the food and beverage products with an innovative and proprietary BPA-free epoxy without compromising the quality and taste. This new formulation can be easily manufactured in the existing infrastructure and has equivalent or better characteristics than conventional epoxy.
Primary Application Area: Materials, Chemical
Technology Development Status: Proven Manufacturability
FIGURES OF MERIT
Value Proposition: - New epoxy lacks bPA, a known endocrine disruptor.
- Drop-in replacement for BPA epoxy-based can coatings. Market feedback and BPA ban in few European countries show a clear need for BPA alternative.
- Currently available BPA alternates are not universally applicable.
- Monomeric CBDO has been tested and shown to be free of endocrine disrupter activity & approved for use worldwide.
- Lower viscosity of this BPA-free epoxy will result in reduced solvent usage, manufacturing costs, associated hazards to workers, need for engineering controls, cure times, etc.
- Can be manufactured with the same existing infrastructure
- Good adhesion strength – Curing of the diglycidyl ether with a simple amine hardener (TETA) at RT provides lap shear adhesion strength on par with commercial builder’s epoxy.
- Excellent handling characteristics – The viscosity of the diglycidyl ether is similar to that of conventional cycloaliphatic epoxies and significantly lower than BPA diglycidyl ether, enabling better resin infiltration; additionally, this material does not solidify in cold weather.
- High UV transmission – Enhances environmental stability and enables UV curing.These characteristics make it ideal for a wide range of coating, adhesive, and composite applications.
Organization Type: Academic/Gov Lab
Showcase Booth #: 32
GOVT/EXTERNAL FUNDING SOURCES
Vetted Programs/Awards: local media.
SBIR/STTR Awards: -will be interested in partnering with a company
External Funding to Date: Corporate funding