Professor of Biological Engineering
College of Agric. & Bio. Engineering , India, B.S., Agric and Bio. Engin.
University of Hawaii , Honolulu , HI, M.S., Information & Comp. Sciences
University of Hawaii , Honolulu , HI, M.S., Biosystems Engineering
Purdue University, Ph.D, Bioprocess & Food Engineering
- Mar 05 – Present, Professor, Agric., & Biological Engin., Purdue University , WL, IN
- Nov 05 – Present, Visiting Associate Prof., Applied & Engin. Physics, Cornell University , Ithaca , NY
- July 02 – Feb 05, Associate Professor, Agric. & Biological Engin., Penn. State Univ., Univ. Park, PA
- Apr 98 – Jun 02, Assistant Professor, Agric. & Biological Engin., Penn. State Univ., Univ. Park , PA.
- Jan 1995 – March 98, Assistant Professor, Biological & Irrigation Engineering; Nutrition and Food Science; Utah State University , Logan .
- Jan1991 – Dec 1994, Assistant Professor, Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering, University of Saskatchewan , Saskatchewan , Canada.
- Post Doctoral Researchers and Scholars : Dr. Chenxu Yu, Ali Shamsaie, 2 new scholars
- Ph.D students : Sun Lan, Tapasree Roy Sarkar, Steve Walker (Penn State Univ, Co-advisor).
- M.S students : Leo Varghese (EE), Leonard Kim (ABE)
- Undergraduate Researchers : Jordan Heim (Physics), Sanjay Thakrar.
NIH, DOD, NSF, USDA, Oncological Sciences Society ( Purdue University ), Center for Optical Technologies (PA), Center for Food Safety Engineering (Purdue).
- Purdue University, Office of the VP, recognition for team/center grants (>1000k)
- Superior paper award, ASABE (2005)
- USDA CSREES: Group honor award and Certificate for NE 179 Multistate Research group, 2003
- Listed in Who's Who: 18 th Editon, 2001. Marquis Who's Who
- Innovation in Teaching Award (1997)
- 1999 – 2000 Young Engineer of the Year Award for Northeastern region [Agric.& Biol. Engin – ASAE)
- Innovation in Teaching Award (1997)
- Teacher of the Year Award (1997)
- 1987-1991 David Ross Research Fellowship (Purdue University)
- Fellowships and Merit Scholarships : 1979-1983 (Undergrad National Merit Scholarship, India )
ABE 591 Introduction to Biophysics
ABE 560 Biosensors - Principles & Applications
ABE 495X Principles of Nanobiotechnology
International Collaborations: University Polytechnique Valencia (Spain), Israel (Several Universities - BARD program), Korean Food Research Institute (Korea), Flanders Research Institute (Leuven, Belgium), University of Milan (Italy), Univ of St. Petersburgh (Russia), National University of Singapore (Singapore), College of Agric. Engineering (Coimbatore) and Gujarat Agric University (India).
Synergistic activities in professional committees:
- Co-director, Physiological Sensing Facility: Member Biophysics Core (Bindley Bioscience Center)
- Leader of the “Detection and Diagnosis” team in the Food Security Center 's multi-institutional Department of Homeland Security grant
- Committee chair and lead PI on the Multi-state Research and information exchange committee on Nanotechnology and Biosensors – Session NCDC201, USDA
- Associate Director, Center for Food Manufacturing, PSU (2000-2004)
- Active member and proponent for the USDA – Nanotechnology initiative with invited presentations in conferences and panel discussions to assess impact on industry
- Chair – Biosensors committee, American Society for agric., food, & biological engineering
- Member, ACS
- Member, Biopysical Society • Member and Council, Institute of Biological Engineering
- Member, Institute of Food Technologists, Food Engineering Committee
- Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Other professional contributions
- Manuscript Reviewer: Analytical Chemistry, Langmuir, Anal Chim acta, Lab on Chip, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vibrational Spectroscopy, Applied Spectroscopy, Sensors and Actuators, J. Food Science, J. Molecular Structure, Journal of Food Engineering, Transactions of the ASAE, Bioresource Technology, Intl. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Journal of Drying Tech., Transactions of the ASME, Intl. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Transactions of the ASME, Intl. J. Agric and Fd. Chem., J. Food Chemistry.
- Research grant proposal reviewer for: NIH, DOD, USDA-NRI, NSF, European Agricultural Research Agency , National Science and Engineering Research Council, Canada.